Here's a link to a nice NPR/Afropop Worldwide Mali 100 Mix, with a little ecommentary... Enjoy.
Meanwhile VFOM is chugging along.
- A board meeting is scheduled for this Saturday, March 16, at which we will welcome a new board member and a new intern from VCU this semester! Thank you Allan! Thank you Dr. Cummins' 3rd year French class! Introductory profiles of Tim and Amanda will be posted soon.
- The challenges that Mali faces are all over the media these days. In spite of the conflict, the nation will hold elections in July, for the central government as well as regional and local jurisdictions. Many of our friends, including Segou's mayor and city councilors' seats are in the race, so we'll try to keep you apprised of the results. Please share your knowledge as well: email@example.com.
- 10,000 Villages will be holding their 3rd Annual Fashion event on April 27 and guess which VFOM member will be sharing the runway? This event promotes their Fair Trade partners, to which list we are hoping to add Mali!
- Planning for the September conference, Women War and Peace, a collaboration of VCU World Studies, Richmond Peace Education Center, Richmond Sister City Commission and VFOM, continues to make progress. SAVE THE DATE: September 21 and 22. Details to follow later this summer.
- We got a nice update from Kadiatou SIDIBE's orphanage outside of Bamako, A Child For All, which has just completed construction of a new water tower.
- We are still raising money for two communitiy healthcare centers in Segou, including medical equipment and supplies to address the needs of displaced families and ease the strain on already strained resources. Click the Paypal "Donate" button on this page to make your tax deductible contribution. Write "Healthcare" in the notes to target your contribution.
- And of course, we always need your support to continue the educational, cultural and citizen diplomacy work of VFOM. Use the same Paypal button above, and write "VFOM" in the notes field to make a general contribution.
- Have a lovely day.